Cisco Small Business RV160, RV160W, RV260, RV260P, and RV260W VPN Routers Remote Code Execution Vulnerabilities
Multiple vulnerabilities in the web-based management interface of Cisco Small Business RV160, RV160W, RV260, RV260P, and RV260W VPN Routers could allow an unauthenticated, remote attacker to execute arbitrary code as the root user on an affected device.
These vulnerabilities exist because HTTP requests are not properly validated. An attacker could exploit these vulnerabilities by sending a crafted HTTP request to the web-based management interface of an affected device. A successful exploit could allow the attacker to remotely execute arbitrary code on the device.
Cisco has released software updates that address these vulnerabilities. There are no workarounds that address these vulnerabilities.
These vulnerabilities affect the following Cisco Small Business Routers if they are running a firmware release earlier than Release 1.0.01.02:
RV160 VPN Router
RV160W Wireless-AC VPN Router
RV260 VPN Router
RV260P VPN Router with POE
RV260W Wireless-AC VPN Router
Products Confirmed Not Vulnerable
Only products listed in the Vulnerable Products section of this advisory are known to be affected by these vulnerabilities.
Cisco has confirmed that these vulnerabilities do not affect the following Cisco products:
RV340 Dual WAN Gigabit VPN Router
RV340W Dual WAN Gigabit Wireless-AC VPN Router
RV345 Dual WAN Gigabit VPN Router
RV345P Dual WAN Gigabit POE VPN Router
· Large and medium government entities: MEDIUM
· Small government entities: HIGH
· Large and medium business entities: MEDIUM
· Small business entities: HIGH
Home Users: LOW
· Large and medium business entities: HIGH
· Small business entities: MEDIUM
Home Users: LOW
We recommend the following actions be taken:
- Apply appropriate updates provided by Cisco to vulnerable systems immediately after appropriate testing.
- Block external access at the network boundary, unless external parties require service.
- Apply the Principle of Least Privilege to all systems and services.
Author: Eric Sanders, Managing Partner
To optimize your environment with a backup plan to suit your specific needs
Have time to do what needs to be done to grow your organization.
Become more efficient and reduce TCO with an optimized environment.
Know that your technology foundation is solid with a certified partner.