Chrome Stable Channel Update for Desktop – February 2021
Multiple vulnerabilities have been discovered in Google Chrome, the most severe of which could allow for arbitrary code execution. These vulnerabilities can be exploited if a user visits, or is redirected to, a specially crafted web page.
Details of the vulnerabilities are as follows:
· A use after free vulnerability in Payments (CVE-2021-21142)
· A heap buffer overflow vulnerability in Extensions (CVE-2021-21143)
· A heap buffer overflow vulnerability in Tab Groups (CVE-2021-21144)
· A use after free vulnerability in Fonts (CVE-2021-21145)
· A use after free vulnerability in Navigation (CVE-2021-21146)
· An inappropriate implementation vulnerability in Skia (CVE-2021-21147)
Successful exploitation of the most severe of these vulnerabilities could allow an attacker to execute arbitrary code in the context of the browser. Depending on the privileges associated with the application, an attacker could view, change, or delete data. If this application has been configured to have fewer user rights on the system, exploitation of the most severe of these vulnerabilities could have less impact than if it was configured with administrative rights.
· Large and medium government entities: HIGH
· Small government entities: MEDIUM
· Large and medium business entities: HIGH
· Small business entities: MEDIUM
Home Users: LOW
We recommend the following actions be taken:
· Apply the stable channel update provided by Google to vulnerable systems immediately after appropriate testing.
· Run all software as a non-privileged user (one without administrative privileges) to diminish the effects of a successful attack.
· Remind users not to visit un-trusted websites or follow links provided by unknown or un-trusted sources.
· Inform and educate users regarding the threats posed by hypertext links contained in emails or attachments especially from un-trusted sources.
· Apply the Principle of Least Privilege to all systems and services.
Author: Eric Sanders, Managing Partner
To optimize your environment with a backup plan to suit your specific needs
Have time to do what needs to be done to grow your organization.
Become more efficient and reduce TCO with an optimized environment.
Know that your technology foundation is solid with a certified partner.