We typically create a “top 10” list of things we would like to share from re:invent but used this criterion since there was so much relevant information.
Relevant to the widest possible audience (e.g. ECS Anywhere/EKS Anywhere is super cool but how many customers are even using containers let alone concerned about where they run them?)
Immediately applicable to production workloads (e.g. EC2 Mac Instances are really exciting for developers but won’t move the needle for your average SysAdmin)
Services that are appealing to teams who need help shifting a larger percentage of IT Operations to the cloud, not just to those organizations who are looking to modernize/add features to existing cloud-native deployments.
1. CodeGuru Updates – The fastest way to kill the expected ROI from migrating to a cloud database is to have bad code that runs expensive queries (like scanning whole tables). CodeGuru Reviewer plugs right into existing code commit pipelines (including 3rd party tools like GitHub, BitBucket, etc.) with no other changes to the standard review process and finds “expensive” lines of code, security flaws, and other bugs.
2. Amazon HealthLake and Amazon Monitron – As we are prioritizing broad customer appeal, but these two industry-specific services (healthcare and industrial, respectively), are unlike anything else out there offered by other cloud providers, and they help customers in these verticals take immediate advantage of the scale and purpose-built tools in the AWS cloud with little to no coding or software development expertise required.
3. QuickSight Q – We know so many businesses who invested a TON in Business Objects/Power BI/Tableau only to turn around and give the Big 4 consulting companies millions to rearchitect their solution, reports and queries. QuickSight Q lets you ask ad hoc questions with natural language and query all of your data simultaneously. Exciting!
4. EBS gp3 Volumes – Ok, nobody is going to move to the cloud just because of a new class of SSDs, but these let you scale IOPS independently from capacity, while still offering 20% lower price per GB than gp2 volumes.
5. Babelfish for Aurora – Babelfish is a new translation layer for Amazon Aurora PostgreSQL that enables Aurora to understand commands from applications written for Microsoft SQL Server. Save time and money.
6. AWS Certificate Manager(ACM)
– including Private Certificate Authority(CA) is now authorized as FedRAMP
7. Managed Entitlements in AWS License Manager – Another major timesaver for the IT Ops personnel
8. Fault Injection Simulator – Compare to similar traffic and error simulation tools in the marketplace like Ixia/Keysight which are VERY expensive, now native to the AWS platform.
9. Audit Manager – Truly hard to overstate what a timesaver this will be for the public sector and regulated industry customers and allows us additional services as part of our managed services deliverables.
10. Amazon EC2 for Mac Instances – Mac instances enable customers to run on-demand macOS workloads in the cloud for the first time, extending the flexibility, scalability, and cost benefits of AWS to all Apple developers. Customers who rely on the Xcode IDE for creating iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch, Apple TV, and Safari apps can now provision and access macOS environments within minutes with simple mouse clicks or API calls, dynamically scale capacity as needed, and benefit from AWS’s pay-as-you-go pricing.
We can help you get started with any of your top 10 on AWS for a better 2021!!
Cloud is not just what we do, it’s all we do.
Have time to do what needs to be done to grow your organization.
Become more efficient and reduce TCO with an optimized environment.
Know that your technology foundation is solid with a certified partner.